iSchool Virtual Academy currently serves students in grades 3-12.
iSchool Virtual Academy, a Responsive Education Solutions (ResponsiveEd®) charter school, is a tuition-free, online public school for eligible students.
Students are provided with all instructional materials for the program. Students and families will be responsible for providing materials for some courses, which may require additional supplies or materials for labs, art supplies, or other classes.
If your children live in Texas, will be in grades 3–12 for the 2016–2017 school year, and qualify under the terms of participation for enrollment, they are most likely eligible to attend iSchool Virtual Academy.
Please note special enrollment criteria. A Texas student is eligible to enroll if:
- The student was enrolled in a public school in Texas in the preceding school year
- The student has been placed in substitute care in this state, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school in this state in the preceding school year
- The student:
– is a dependent of a member of the United States military
– was previously enrolled in high school in Texas
– no longer resides in Texas as a result of a military deployment or transfer
Please see our enrollment page for further details on eligibility criteria.
iSchool Virtual Academy offers a full curriculum for students in grades 3 through 12. Courses cover all core areas, including English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, and elective course offerings in a variety of student interest areas.
We serve students with a variety of academic needs and preferences. Our mission at iSchool Virtual Academy includes a personalized approach to learning that helps students meet their individual goals. iSchool Virtual Academy will provide services to meet your child’s needs based on the student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP). To discuss your child’s needs with us, please call 972.316.4543. If your child has a current 504 plan and you would like to discuss his/her needs, please call 972.316.4543.
In addition to online opportunities during the normal course of their program, students and families may be invited to participate in teacher-facilitated field trips at different times throughout the school year. While these events are optional, they provide wonderful opportunities for students and their families to meet other families in the school community face-to-face.
The amount of time a student spends on the computer each day will vary according to student need. Online activities and assessments are supported with opportunities to receive live support from teachers, offline activities, and individualized learning opportunities.
Each student will be required to have a computer that meets minimum technical specifications to access iSchool Virtual Academy courses. Families must also have reliable high-speed internet access in order to participate.
Testing / Assessment
Yes. iSchool Virtual Academy is a public school operating within the state of Texas. Therefore, ALL students are REQUIRED to participate in state testing (State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness, STAAR exams, End of Course Assessments (EOCs), whenever applicable). Parents and students must formally acknowledge this expectation during the enrollment process.
Yes. The diploma is issued to graduating seniors through iSchool Virtual Academy by ResponsiveEd®. In order to be eligible for graduation, all course work and graduation requirements prescribed by the state of Texas must be satisfactorily fulfilled.
Earning credit in Physical Education (PE) is one of the requirements to meet eligibility for graduation in the state of Texas and is, therefore, offered to ensure our students meet all requirements of their graduation plan.
Enrollment / Attendance
Students will have access to the iSchool Virtual Academy learning management system at any time of the day for seven days a week, for the duration of the academic year (August 22, 2016 through May 26, 2017). This flexibility allows students to, in conjunction with their teachers, design a learning plan that meets their needs.
Students are required to complete all of the requirements communicated by their content teacher by the end of their course.
Students can access campus personnel, including teachers and support staff, in a variety of ways: phone, email, Skype, web conferencing tools, etc. Students will have the ability to meet with teachers and peers during live online classes, office hours, one-on-one sessions, and small group tutorials based on their individual academic needs and levels of content mastery.
iSchool Virtual Academy is not homeschooling. iSchool Virtual Academy is a public online charter school program that provides a defined curriculum that has been specifically aligned to Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Courses are led by Texas-certified teachers, and students are required to participate in the same state testing program (STAAR) as all other public school students.
iSchool Virtual Academy students are required to meet specific state and program requirements. Student eligibility requirements are determined by Texas state laws, the Texas Education Agency, and ResponsiveEd. Before enrolling, please review the following eligibility requirements carefully.
Students in grades 3-12 who reside anywhere in the state, who are eligible to attend public school in Texas, and who meet the other eligibility requirements of the TxVSN Online Schools (OLS) program may enroll in the full-time virtual instructional program. They will participate in rigorous, interactive online courses that emphasize extensive communication between the Texas-certified teacher and student and among students. The full-time virtual TxVSN OLS program is available to students who meet eligibility requirements defined in TEC, §30A.002. A student is eligible only if the student meets requirements for enrollment in the Texas public education system and
- was enrolled in a public school in this state in the preceding school year; or
- has been placed in substitute care in this state, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school in this state in the preceding year; or
- is a dependent of a member of the United States military, was previously enrolled in high school in this state, and does not reside in this state due to a military deployment or transfer.
It should be noted that the Texas Education Agency Student Attendance Accounting Handbook defines the term enrolled as actually receiving instruction by attendance in a public school rather than being registered before receiving instruction.
To participate in iSchool Virtual Academy students must:
- Meet the requirements for enrollment in grades 3-12 in Texas, including documented evidence of successful completion of the eighth grade and/or existing high school transcript showing existing HS credits earned to date
- Successfully meet requirements set forth in the iSchool Virtual Academy student engagement guidelines
Please Note: iSchool Virtual Academy does not accept students who are currently assigned to an alternative setting as a disciplinary consequence or suspended/expelled from their local school or district.
Students who have an incomplete Disciplinary Alternative Education Placement or Juvenile Justice Alternative Educational Placement are not eligible to enroll until the disciplinary placement has been completed in a brick-and-mortar school.
For more information on eligibility, please visit the Texas Virtual School Network Online School program page on the Texas Education Agency website.
Proof of Age
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
- Certificate of live birth
- Baptismal papers
- Custody documentation
The enrolling student must reside within the state of Texas and reside within the existing boundaries of the charter school geographic service area. Acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment must be provided.
Students residing in the following districts are not eligible to enroll at iSchool Virtual Academy:
Chillicothe ISD, Culberson County-Allamoore ISD, Divide ISD, Kelton ISD, Linden-Kildare CISD, Paducah ISD, Saltillo ISD, Tenaha ISD, Walnut Bend ISD
Required Documents for Proof of Residency
To verify your legal residence, submit a copy of one of the following documents. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes parent/guardian name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement that includes parent/guardian name and residence address
- Rent receipt within the last 60 days that includes the parent/guardian name and residence address
All students enrolling in iSchool Virtual Academy must provide evidence of their current immunizations on either a state of Texas official immunization form. Forms must be stamped or signed by a health care provider.
Parents seeking exemption from immunizations for personal or religious reasons must request a vaccine exemption affidavit form in writing by mail, fax (512-776-7544) or a secure online request form from the Department of State Health Services, Immunization Branch.
Required Immunization Documents
See the Texas school immunization requirements
Caretaker Proof of Identity
A copy of the enrolling parent/guardian’s government-issued photo identification card which includes the parent/guardian’s name and date of birth (e.g. driver’s license, state ID, passport) must be submitted along with your enrollment documents. Additional documentation may be required if not the parent appearing on a student’s birth certificate.
If any of the following circumstances apply, you may need to provide additional documentation:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
- Students in Special Services: At the time of enrollment, all parents who indicate that their child has special services are required to submit a copy of the following:
– 504 = 504 evaluation and 504 Plan
– Special Education = Complete annual ARD/IEP document that was completed within the last 12 months, along with any additional ARD/IEP documents held during the school year; and FIE (Full Individual Evaluation) that was completed within the last 3 years (including documentation of disability). For a student that has a REED (Review of Existing Evaluation Data) as their evaluation date, the FIE that supports that REED must be submitted too.
– ESL = Most current TELPAS score printout
The FIE (evaluation) and ARD/IEP documents must be current within the semester that the student is enrolling. If these documents need to be updated, we encourage you to work with your previous school before submitting an application. All special education documents are reviewed by iSchool Virtual Academy special education representatives.